Immune Medicine Platform Applications for COVID-19
Adaptive is proud to partner with industry leaders to respond to this global health pandemic
At Adaptive, we are leveraging the immune system’s natural ability to detect and treat disease to develop clinical products. Understanding the immune response to COVID-19 may lead to solutions to accelerate progress against the disease.
We are pursuing two separate but synergistic applications of our immune medicine platform to combat COVID-19:
- In March 2020, we extended our existing partnership with Microsoft to decode the immune system’s response to COVID-19 and potentially develop a more sensitive diagnostic that can detect disease earlier or indicate who has been previously infected.
- In April 2020, we announced a partnership with Amgen to leverage our platform’s drug discovery capabilities to develop potential antibody therapies for COVID-19.
Decoding the Immune Response to COVID-19
A group of industry leaders has come together to accelerate this critical effort.
To address the COVID-19 pandemic, Adaptive and Microsoft have extended our existing partnership to map population-wide adaptive immune responses to diseases at scale to identify how the immune system responds to COVID-19. We will make our findings freely available to all researchers around the world. This program is called ImmuneCODE.
By decoding the immune system’s response to COVID-19, we may help advance solutions to diagnose, treat, and prevent the disease, complementing existing efforts underway to understand the virus itself.
We will generate immune response data and identify an immune response signature to COVID-19 in the following ways:
- Internal research: Utilizing our MIRA technology, we will identify coronavirus-specific (immunogenic) antigens and T-cell receptors that react to those antigens.
- Our ImmuneRACE Study: Through our sponsored study, we will collect de-identified blood samples and nasal or throat swabs from individuals who are currently fighting, have recently recovered from, or have been exposed to the COVID-19 virus.
- Partnerships with participating institutions: We are partnering with institutions around the world to secure patient samples.
A key goal of the ImmuneCODE Program is to enable scientific researchers around the world to further their own research to enable the more effective diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of COVID-19 through free, open sharing of population-level immune response data. We expect that our first data output will be available in June.
Reach out to discuss contributing samples
Therapeutic Antibodies Against COVID-19 Virus
Adaptive has partnered with Amgen to discover and develop fully human neutralizing antibodies, aiming to help solve the current global pandemic crisis by combining expertise to discover and develop a fully-human neutralizing antibody targeting the COVID-19 virus (SARS-CoV-2) to potentially speed the recovery from or prevent COVID-19.
Neutralizing antibodies defend healthy cells by interfering with the biological function of an invading virus. These antibodies may be used therapeutically to treat someone currently fighting the disease and provide passive immunity to people who have recently been exposed to the virus.
Adaptive will extend its high-throughput immune medicine platform to rapidly screen the massive genetic diversity of the B-cell repertoire. This enables us to identify tens of thousands of naturally occurring B-cell receptors (BCRs) from survivors of COVID-19 to characterize the best antibodies that neutralize the COVID-19 virus and potentially other related coronaviruses. Then Amgen will apply its world class antibody engineering capabilities to develop, manufacture, and commercialize neutralizing antibodies for COVID-19.